About St. Philip’s

The history of the Church of St. Philip’s begins at the turn of the 20th century.  At that time, there was no bridge over the Red River to the rest of the area now known as the City of Winnipeg.  In the year 1900, Mr & Mrs. W. H. McKinney approached the Venerable Archdeacon Fortin with a view to having services in Norwood. The result was that on May15th, 1900, Sunday School and Services were started in the McKinney home on the corner of Linden Avenue which is now Lyndale Drive and Marion Street.  The Rev. E. Burch was assigned to the parish in the role of Curate.About the Nave of St. Philip's

On November 18th, 1900. the “Little Wooden Church” was opened on Eugenie Street by the Venerable Archdeacon Fortin, then Rector of Holy Trinity Church, Winnipeg. Thus began the life of St. Philip’s Church.(parish program from 100th anniversary service).

The current building was erected in 1904 and in 1959 the building was extended with the addition of the Memorial Hall.  Rev J.E. Bethel was the priest.  Over the years St. Philip’s has been faithfully served by many clergy and lay people alike.  Currently Rev. Donald McKenzie is Priest, while Rev. Steven Scribner serves as Priest Associate, and Rev. Tanis Kolisnyk is Deacon. Gloria Belliveau and Andrew Schmidt are Rector’s and People’s Warden, respectively.  Along with being Deacon, Rev. Tanis also serves as the Organist and Choir Leader for St. Philip’s.

In addition to serving a small but active church family, St. Philip’s also serves as home to several other groups. These include Sparks, Brownies, Guides, an Orthodox Church community, A Spanish dance troupe, an Alcoholics Anonymous, and an Al-Anon group.